Thursday, February 28, 2013

Popcorn Sugar Cookies

I had the pleasure of making sugar cookie favors for an adorable little boy's 4th birthday party. He and his friends had a special movie day planned, so his mom requested popcorn sugar cookies.

Since I didn't have a popcorn box cookie cutter, I ended up using two different cutters to get the shape I wanted. I started off with a beer mug cutter. I cut off the handle as well as the "head". I then used a flower shaped cutter to use as the popcorn. I cut out part of the mug using the flower cutter so that the two pieces would fit. I've never done this before, so I made sure to bake extra in case they fell apart. I'm glad I did, because three or four did end up breaking!

I started off by outlining and filling the boxes using red and white stripes.  I let those dry overnight.  I decided to use ivory and yellow to make the popcorn more realistic.  I really like how the popcorn turned out! I did this part of the cookie in layers so that there would be more texture. The last step was adding an oval to the box with the number four.  I think this tied in the whole cookie. 

I'm really pleased with how they looked when done and I think the birthday boy enjoyed them too! 

No comments:

Post a Comment