Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Grapefruit Margaritas

I have a slight obsession with grapefruit these days.  I buy some every time I go to the grocery store...  Whether or not I need any!  So, with an abundance of grapefruit and a mouth full of canker sores, I decided I'd make a refreshing grapefruit margarita!

I'm not a big fan of margarita mixes - I always find they're too sweet and that green color just doesn't seem natural!  Don't get me wrong.  I always have a bottle of it on hand in the fridge in case I run out of citrus, or more likely am just too lazy to make a margarita from scratch.  This margarita was nice and refreshing with the right amount of sweet and tart.


Sweet and tart reminds me of one of my favorite candies - Sweet Tarts.  I could eat those like they were going out of style!  I loved how tart they were and didn't mind that my eyes would water constantly while eating them.  What I loved more was tricking my grandmother.  Mean, I know!  :)  Grammie did not like tart food at all, but she would take a candy from us each time we offered her one.  We'd convince her it was sweet and that she should try it.  With one lick of the candy, Grammie's face would squish up and she would spit out any tart flavor in her mouth.  It made us kids (and sometimes when we were adults...) crack up every time.  I like to think she did it on purpose to make us laugh!  Isn't it nice when family gets along?

Anywho...  Back to the margarita!  Grapefruit is a nice departure from the classic margarita and I recommend you make this whenever you're thirsty after a hard day or just would like to unwind with love in a glass.

Note: If you have extra juice, you can easily freeze it in an ice cube tray and use in your next margarita.


Grapefruit Margarita
Serves: 1

Juice from 1/2 ruby red grapefruit (I used a softball sized grapefruit)
Juice from 1 lime
Juice from 1/2 lemon
1 T. agave syrup (more or less according to taste)
Tequila (I used about 2 1/2 shots but this is also according to taste
Ice

This can be made in a shaker or add ingredients directly to the glass and stir.  I prefer to make it in a shaker as it is easier to taste and add ingredients as needed.

Add ice to a shaker.  Add citrus juices, agave and tequila.  Shake until well combined.  Serve over ice and enjoy.


No comments:

Post a Comment