Saturday, February 11, 2012

Happy National Pancake Month!

When I found out February is National Pancake Month I got really excited - Maybe a little too excited!  But I don't care.  I LOVE PANCAKES!  :)


To celebrate, I hope to either try a new pancake recipe each weekend for the next month or create new recipes.  When I thought of recipes I'd like to try, I immediately thought of the whole wheat chocolate chip sweet potato pancakes I saw on Eat, Live, Run.  I mean, they're super healthy because they have whole wheat flour, dark chocolate and sweet potatoes, right?  Well, maybe not super healthy, but definitely healthier than pancakes made with all white flour and oil.  These pancakes have the perfect amount of sweetness too.  They only have 1T of brown sugar and a ton of chocolate chips so they're just sweet enough.

I would definitely make these again and if you wanted to make them even healthier you could use all whole wheat (pastry) flour.  I can't wait until next week to try a new recipe - I'm thinking carrot cake pancakes?

Whole Wheat Chocolate Chip Sweet Potato Pancakes


1/2 large sweet potato, baked then mashed with a fork (I used just shy of 3/4 of a cup of canned pumpkin puree and increased the flour by 2T to account for this)

1/2 cup white flour
1/2 cup + 2T whole wheat flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 tbsp brown sugar
1 cup milk
1 egg, slightly beaten
1/2 cup (heaping) dark chocolate chips
Butter (or nonstick spray) to grease skillet
Maple syrup for serving
Grease a large skillet with butter and head over medium high heat (I used nonstick spray).
Combine all ingredients, mixing JUST UNTIL COMBINED and drop by quarter cups onto hot skillet. Cook for about two minutes each side then serve with warm maple syrup.



No comments:

Post a Comment