Thursday, April 5, 2012

Waffles!

If you've been reading my blog, you'd know that pancakes are my number one favorite breakfast food.  Waffles are a very close second.  I love how they can be so versatile - I use them in place of toast for an egg sandwich, they can be made as a dessert (chocolate!) and can even be made savory (cornmeal chive!).  I just love waffles!


I decided to make waffles last week for a change from the usual pancakes.  I went to my go to site since I know I'd seen a few waffle recipes in the past.  I opted for a simple buttermilk recipe but I know there are a few recipes on that blog that I will be trying soon. The waffles came together pretty quickly (other than the 30 minutes wait time after making the batter).  One of these days I will purchase a better waffle iron, but until then, my $10 Target iron will have to suffice!

The outside of these waffles were crisp while the insides remained tender and airy.  I served these up with fresh strawberries and maple syrup.  I remember when my mom used to make Belgian waffles, she would combine the butter and syrup and warm it on the stovetop.  This way, you could ensure you had butter and syrup in every little nook and cranny of the waffle!  My mouth is watering just thinking about these.  I may have to go whip up a batch now.


 I also found that these froze very well.  I easily reheated them by popping them in the toaster so this is a good recipe to multiply to ensure you have leftovers.

Waffles
Adapted from Annie's Eats


¾ cup all-purpose flour (I used whole wheat pastry flour)
¼ cup cornstarch
½ tsp. baking powder
¼ tsp. baking soda
½ tsp. salt
1½ tsp. sugar
½ cup whole milk (I used skim milk)
½ cup buttermilk
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 large egg, lightly beaten
¾ tsp. vanilla extract


In a medium mixing bowl, combine the flour, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda, salt and sugar.  Whisk together to blend.  In another mixing bowl, beat together the whole milk, buttermilk, oil, egg and vanilla.  Add the dry ingredients to the bowl with the wet ingredients and whisk just until incorporated and few lumps remain.  Set aside to rest for 30 minutes.





Preheat a waffle iron.  Fill waffle wells and cook according to the manufacturer’s 
instructions.  Cook until crisp and golden.  Serve immediately.



Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment