Friday, October 5, 2012

Slow Cooker Sweet Potato Black Bean Chili

I probably should have posted this recipe earlier this week when it was cold and rainy in New England, but I have had a bit of a crazy week.  Between work and a flat tire (that I changed all by myself thankyouverymuch!), it has been a bit hectic.  This is a great recipe for busy weeks since you put all the ingredients in a slow cooker and come home to a house that smells delicious!

I decided to make this recipe a few weeks ago when I was craving something warm and spicy.  I automatically thought of chili!  I went to work and scanned my pantry, fridge, and freezer to see what I had on hand.  I realized I didn't have any ground meat, but I did have sweet potatoes and black beans.  I had seen recipes for sweet potato black bean chili and decided that is what I would make!  I loosely followed a recipe I had found on EatingWell.com and I added some extra veggies to beef up the nutrition factor.  This chili is now one of my favorites and I can't wait to make it again.  I froze a few servings of it right away and glad I did!  I was able to enjoy some for lunch this week.  Yum!


Slow Cooker Sweet Potato Black Bean Chili

2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and diced (you can leave the peel on if you’d like)
1 medium onion, diced
2 stalks of celery, diced
2 medium carrots, diced
1 clove of garlic, diced
Salt & pepper to taste
Cumin to taste
1 large can of diced tomatoes, undrained
1-2 T of tomato paste, if needed to thicken
2 cans of black beans, rinsed (only one is pictured and I picked up another while grocery shopping and added it a few hours into cooking)
2 chipotles in adobo, diced (start with one if you don’t like it too spicy)
1 bottle pumpkin ale (optional)
1 box of broth (chicken or veggie work.  May need more or less depending on if you add beer or how large your veggies are)
Cilantro (I like a lot and used almost an entire bunch)




Add veggies, garlic, cumin, diced tomatoes, black beans, and chipotles to slow cooker.  If using, add the pumpkin ale.  Add broth just to cover the veggies, beans and tomatoes.  Cover and set the slow cooker to low for six hours (or high for four hours).  After the first hour, stir every 30 minutes to ensure there is enough liquid.  You may need to add more broth if you find the veggies are absorbing too much liquid.



In the last 30 minutes, remove the lid, turn up to high and let any extra liquid evaporate.  You want this to be a thicker chili with some liquid, so if it's too runny, add in some tomato paste to help thicken.  This is also the time you'll want to add the cilantro.



This soup was delicious served with a dollop of plain Greek yogurt (totally forgot to snap a photo when I served myself a bowl.  Bad blogger!).  It helped to cool off the spiciness from the chipotles!  :)

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment