Monday, March 19, 2012

Homemade Bailey's Irish Cream

I hope you all enjoyed your St. Patrick's Day.  It was a great, but very busy and fast weekend!  I had two birthday parties to attend - One of which was for my dad.  As soon as I found this recipe for homemade Bailey's Irish Cream, I knew I had to try it.  I thought it would make the perfect gift for my dad since he's a big fan of the liqueur.

The recipe I used happens to be vegan because it calls for coconut milk as opposed to cream.  I enjoyed the end result because it had a nice hint of coconut.  It may be because I used cream of coconut instead of full fat coconut milk, but everyone seemed to enjoy it.  If you do use cream of coconut, please note that once the liqueur has chilled the fat will separate and rise to the top.  I simply strained the liquid into another bowl and it was fine after that.  The liqueur will separate but that is because no emulsifier was added to prevent separation (vegetable oil is added to the real deal to prevent this from happening).  It's not a big deal - Just be sure to shake or whisk the liqueur before using.

Since I gave this to my dad for his birthday, we all made sure to do a celebratory shot (or three) in honor of the birthday boy.  My brother and I opted to toast my dad with some car bombs - Man are they good with homemade Irish cream!  This is a super simple recipe and is delicious on its own or with your morning coffee.  :)  You can find the full recipe here at Oh She Glows.






No comments:

Post a Comment