Thursday, March 1, 2012

Homemade Thin Mints


Happy March!  I don't know about you, but I think the year is flying by very quickly.  I did manage to make it through the first couple of months without buying any Girl Scout cookies (or eating any, for that matter).  But, I felt a bit left out, so I decided I would make some cookies from scratch.

Thin mints are one of my favorite Girl Scout cookies and when I stumbled upon this recipe, I decided I needed to make them...  And soon!  I suppose I could just buy a dozen boxes box to benefit the Girl Scouts, but what fun is that?  Besides, this way, I can control the quality of the ingredients and I can feel better about eating them all in one sitting.

These were not the easiest cookies to make.  While the technique is very basic, it's a bit time consuming when it comes time to dipping the cookies in chocolate.  It also gets a tad messy, but again, that's part of the fun!  Because of the time these took to roll out and coat in chocolate, I will make these again, but only for a special occasion.

While the cookie isn't an exact replica of what you would buy from your friend in a green beret.  Wait.  Do Girl Scouts wear green berets?  Or am I confusing them with the army???  Whichever, these cookies have a very similar texture and taste to the original.  I suggest keeping these in the refrigerator or freezer as they don't contain any stabilizers to keep the chocolate from melting.  The only thing I would change is adding more peppermint to the chocolate coating and maybe a dash to the dough.  Otherwise, I wouldn't change a thing.

Oh, and the only reason I made these heart shaped is that I didn't have a small enough circle cookie cutter and this was the closest I could find to the size listed in the recipe.  For a the full recipe visit Handle the Heat.

Go forth and prosper.  Or serve God and your country.  Whatever it is Girl Scouts swear to do - Is it obvious I wasn't a Girl Scout?

No comments:

Post a Comment