Sunday, January 16, 2011

Blue Cheese Stuffed Buffalo Turkey Burgers


One of my favorite foods to eat during a football game is a good, juicy burger...  And spicy buffalo fingers...  So, why not combine the two?  Of course the thought of combining beef and buffalo sauce was not too appetizing to me.  And, I am trying to eat more healthily.  Beef?  No.  Turkey?  Yes!  To me, turkey and chicken are so versatile and are a great base for adding spice.  This turned out to be yet another meal I could make immediately as I had every ingredient on hand.  Well, almost immediately.  I did have to wait for the turkey to defrost.  I used one pound of 99% fat free ground turkey.  Into the turkey went hot sauce (lots of it!), worcestershire sauce, diced scallions, a bit of Panko bread crumbs and a pinch of salt.  Oh, and of course - Blue cheese!!!



I'm sorry - I don't have exact measurements since when I cook, I tend to throw in a little bit of this and a little bit of that.  My friend Michaela is always asking me for recipes and I find myself having to almost make up measurements.  She hasn't complained yet, so I think I'm doing okay.  :)  Since the turkey is so low in calories (120 calories per four ounce serving), I decided to go big and make only two burgers.  What the heck?  I was watching a football game, so I decided to splurge.  The turkey, however is not where the splurging comes into play.  The splurge is the delicious, creamy, tangy, Maytag blue cheese that filled these half-pound burgers.
I made four patties, piled the blue cheese on top of two of them and topped each of those with the remaining patties.  Sinful, I know.
Because these burgers were so thick I didn't want to risk burning them on the outside before they were done instead - Especially being turkey!  I browned both sides of the burgers in an oven-safe pan then finished cooking them in a 350 degree oven.  I let them sit for 10 of the longest minutes of my life!
I didn't bother to top the burger with anything since my mouth was watering as I was taking the pictures. I wanted to eat the burger right away and didn't have time to search my fridge for accompaniments.  Next time I make this - and there will be a next time - Maybe I'll be more creative and think of some fancy toppings.  In my opinion, the burger was perfect as is.  But who knows, I may be able to improve on perfection!  And by the way -  the game was not nearly as perfect as this burger.  In fact, it was the exact opposite!

2 comments:

  1. Yum! I just made a Buffalo Chicken French Dip Sandwich--like the burger idea:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh, I saw that recipe on another blog and I've been dying to try it!

    ReplyDelete