Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Chocolate Cupcakes with Peppermint Buttercream Frosting


Chocolate and peppermint is one of my favorite combinations (I'm sure you can tell as this is my second post with this flavor combo!).  I used a basic chocolate cake recipe for the cupcakes, but I decided to try something new for the frosting.  I typically make a standard buttercream but have been wanting to try something new.  I found a recipe for vanilla Swiss meringue buttercream and thought I'd try it.  It was a lot more work than my usual frosting, but well worth it!  The only thing I changed is the flavoring - I added peppermint extract and reduced the amount of vanilla by a teaspoon.

I used a swirled frosting effect by tinting half the frosting red and filing the pastry bag with both the red and white frosting.  Unfortunately, I could not get the exact shade of red that I wanted but I think the pink looks  okay!  :)

Although this frosting is more labor intensive than my standard buttercream, it is well worth the effort.  The consistency and flavor is amazing.  I've already found a few other Swiss meringue recipes I will be trying!



Source: Annie's Eats

No comments:

Post a Comment