Sunday, January 9, 2011

Ginger Beef Stir Fry


As many of the recipes I've been trying lately, I had to make this as soon as I found the recipe online.  This came together really quickly.  I made the sauce and prepped the veggies and beef while the rice cooked.  Once everything was in the pan, it took about 15 minutes to cook which makes this a great weeknight meal option.

Although the recipe sounded delicious to me when I first read it, I did make a few changes.  I'm not a huge fan of ginger, so I cut the amount in half and it was just enough.  I also like a little heat, so I about doubled the amount of red pepper flakes.  Since I don't eat peppers, I omitted them and just increased the amount of broccoli and carrots as well as added in snow peas.  Lastly, I opted to use filet as opposed to sirloin as it is a leaner cut of meat and that's what I had in the fridge!

I highly recommend making this if you're craving Chinese food and would like a quick and healthier option than take out.  This is definitely going into my recipe rotation!  It would also be a great meal for entertaining.  It's easy to double or triple the recipe and you won't be stuck in the kitchen cooking instead of visiting with your guests.


Enjoy!

Source: Annie's Eats


Ingredients:
1 tsp. cornstarch
¼ cup cold water
3 tbsp. plum sauce
1 tbsp. grated fresh ginger
1 tbsp. low sodium soy sauce
¼ tsp. red pepper flakes
1 lb. boneless sirloin steak, cut into thin strips
1 tbsp. vegetable or canola oil
1 red bell pepper, seeded and sliced thin
1½ cups small broccoli florets
1 carrot, peeled and julienned
4 green onions, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
3 tbsp. salted peanuts, chopped (optional)
Rice, for serving
Sesame seeds, for garnish
Directions: 
In a small bowl, combine the cornstarch and water; whisk until smooth.  Stir in the plum sauce, ginger, soy sauce and red pepper flakes.  Set aside.
In a large skillet or wok over medium-high heat, cook the steak strips until no longer pink.  Remove to a plate and set aside, draining the excess fat from the skillet if necessary.  Add the oil to the pan and heat through.  Add the red pepper, broccoli and carrot pieces to the skillet and stir fry until crisp-tender, about 5 minutes.  Mix in the green onion and garlic and cook just until fragrant, about 30 seconds.  Return the steak pieces to the pan.  Add the sauce to the pan, stirring well to coat everything.  Cook until slightly thickened, about 2 minutes more.  Stir in the peanuts.
Serve the warm stir fry over rice and sprinkle with sesame seeds for garnish, if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment